Thursday, December 2, 2010

Vanitas

A friend of mine asked me if I had any good examples of contemporary vanitas. It was good for me to run through my memory of art history courses I took to come up with some, but I also found some new ones I think are inspiring.

Damien Hirst's End of An Era
























Maurizio Cattelan's "All"
















Wolfe von Lenkiewicz






















Alastair Mackie- sphere made of mouse skulls


















Jana Sterbak's infamous Meat Dress
























Oskar Dawicki's installation "Vanitas" in which each item had a timer counting down until the expiration date.

















Fernando Vicente

























There was a Vanitas show in London a few months ago that really breathes new life into the genre.


No comments: